Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Gavin: 3 Months

Wow - this has been a month full of accomplishment! Gavin has grown and changed so much over the past four weeks that I can hardly believe it! I am so in love with this sweet little baby that God has blessed us with!
Sleep - We have made major improvements in this area!!! Up until 10 weeks, Gavin was sleeping in his swing. You know, survival mode, whatever buys me a little more sleep or time resting in bed is exactly what I was going to do! Thus, Gavin spent all of his sleeping hours in the swing. We were also using the super swaddle Miracle Blanket. Something about the swing/blanket combo soothed him into falling asleep and staying asleep! But at about 10 weeks I knew that I needed to work on breaking that habit. So after some adjustments to schedule and a lot of patience, he is now sleeping in his crib for naps and at night! And we have graduated to a sleep sack with the velcro arm band thingy which still keeps his arms close and snug. He is doing really, really well. He has been sleeping from 8:30-5 or so (sometimes as long as 7!), wakes up for a feed, then goes right back to bed until 8:30 am. Yea!!! During the day he will take three to four naps depending on if he falls asleep in his car seat when we are out and about.
Things have been SO much easier the second time around! I remember with Blane that every time he would cry I assumed he was hungry - it never occurred to me that he was crying because he was tired. Little Gavin can only stay awake for 2 hours between naps, otherwise he gets fussy because he's exhausted!

Development - We are finally seeing tons of smiles and hearing lots of sweet cooing! I love those wonderful baby sounds! Gavin enjoys his tummy time and he can lift his head so high off the ground! But he still has no desire to roll anywhere. Blane was rolling front to back, back to front at 9 1/2 week, but nothing from Gavin at 12 weeks...they are SO different! Gavin is my sweet, very laid back, "whatever" attitude baby. BUT, he does turn around directionally which is causing a bald spot on the back right and left sides of his head. Pretty soon he will have a baby mullet! He also loves to "stand". He's getting really good at putting weight on those skinny little legs. His poor little head is still so flat : (

Food - Gavin still loves his mommy milk and he has roll after roll to prove it! We took him in for a sick visit last week and he weighed 13 lbs, 11 oz! I have found that if I can get 6 feedings in during the day that he can go 8-9 hours at night without eating. He is also much more efficient at eating now which is good! My guess is that he's taking about four ounces at each feeding, maybe more! What's really fun these days is to see Gavin peering up at me with a big smile on his face! He must be so happy to see his food source! Looking back at my blog from when Blane was this age, I noticed that I was already feeding him rice cereal and other pureed foods at 3-4 months. I know that with Blane I was always so excited for the "next step", but with Gavin I just want him to be a little itty bitty baby forever!

Other - Gavin is in #2 diapers, but I'm thinking that we are going to be moving into 3's pretty soon! He is wearing 3-6 month clothes already! He still loves his lovie bear and he's also discovered that sucking on fingers is pretty fun too!
A friend recently asked me how long it took before feeling normal again. I would say that it took a good 6-8 weeks to feel "normal" and to be comfortable in our new routine and schedule. It was definitely overwhelming at first to juggle the two but these last 4 weeks have seemed to be a breeze. I LOVE having two kids!
Well, Summer is quickly coming to a close! We are looking forward to lots of super fun activities for the Fall. We will be doing MOPS, women's bible study at the church, and of course our weekly playdate with our friends. The boys will be busy and so will Mommy!


No comments: