Monday, March 19, 2012

Pivotal

There are some days where I am struck by the realization that things are changing and will never be the same again. Yesterday was one of those day. Two pivotal changes occurred and it opened my eyes to see how big my kids are getting.

Ashley has been done nursing for a while, but I've still been pumping bottles for her - but yesterday that came to an end as well. What a strange mixture of relief and sadness. She's officially on Almond milk and big people food. Time to admit that she's a big girl, a toddler as of this coming Sunday, and no longer a helpless infant.

To add to the grieving that I always seem to endure at every milestone, a second big change occurred. Two older boys from down the street invited Blane over to play nerf guns. Of course he's always played with other kids on the street, while all of us moms are outside with the kids, but this was different. These boys (fourth and first grade) walked over and extended an invitation. And Blane's response? "Mom, you can stay here on the porch, I'm going to go play, ok?" Of course my motherly eye was on him the whole time, but no longer is he a little hen in my nest. He sure was proud that they invited him, and he felt like such a big boy. He is definitely starting to spread his own wings and I am learning what it REALLY means to trust that God will carry him.

No comments: