Thursday, August 9, 2012

{HOME} School - Day 1

***Disclaimer - my kids choose their own clothes and I love their creativity. I've been known to let Gavin accompany me to the grocery store dressed as Woody and Blane as Ladd (for you Pioneer Woman lovers out there, he makes a darling Ladd!). I had high hopes that Ashley would allow me to at least put matching shoes on her for pics, but she insisted on pink Diesel shoes that are two sizes too big. And this, folks, is why we homeschool, to keep Mommy embarrassment at a minimum ; )

I originally planned to start school next Monday, because it just seems appropriate to start school on a Monday, right? Then I remembered - we aren't bound to "rules" or structure, ah ha! A Thursday would be a much better day to begin! Two days under our belt before a weekend break to re-adjust if need be. Brilliant! 

(This must be why they hired me, *wink wink).

The boys were super excited that today would be our first day of {home} school. So here's what they were expecting: "When the timer on your lamp goes off in the morning (7:30 am) you may get out of bed, get dressed, make your bed, and come down for breakfast (8:00 am). Then we'll start school after breakfast." But when I checked on little Gavin in his bed last night before I turned in, he already had gotten himself dressed in the clothes I had laid out for him. He was super excited about school the next morning : )

We started out our morning with "H" for Homeschool pancakes. Quite the treat : )


Then we took some first day of school pictures….

Let me introduce you to my class this year - 

Ashley - 16 months - troublemaker : )
We will try the un-schooling method with her! Or maybe the "nap during school" method will suit her best! I mean, just look at that face! Ha!




Blane - 4 1/2
PreKindergarten
My Father's World Kindergarten and Handwriting Without Tears

Gavin - 3
PreSchool
MFW - K and Handwriting Without Tears

Isn't my class super cute?! 

During school this morning Blane referenced something a teacher last year at preschool taught him. I said, "Blane, are you sad that you're not GOING to school this year? Would you rather be at school with your friends?" And he replied, "Oh no Mommy, I would rather do school at home. This was a good decision for me." 
I needed that affirmation today!
Love these two! Love that they have the opportunity to learn and do life together this year! 
I am so hopeful that their friendship will grow and blossom and I can't wait to see their understanding of Jesus' heart grow!








And a little fingerprint art to top off the day!


No comments: