Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Grandaddy and Blane

This is my absolute favorite picture from Easter weekend with the family! We were out to lunch at Maggiano's and Blane couldn't stop staring at the fan (his new favorite). I have had several people ask me about making my own baby food, so here's a breif overview of what I've been doing. I read through "Superfoods for Babies and Children," and I also thumbed through a new book at William Sonoma, I think that it's called "Cooking for Baby". Both books have great recommendations and recipes! Making baby food is SO easy, and not near as time consuming as I thought. I simply steam whatever veggie that I'm wanting to make (I've done carrots, peas, green beans, and sweet potato so far). I have a little steaming pot at home that I picked up a while back at Walmart for super cheap. Then, once steamed, I put the veggie in my little mini Cuisinart blender/grinder thingy (a wedding gift finally being used!). I add some of the water that I used to steam to make the puree thinner if needed. Once pureed, I spoon the mixture into ice cube trays, then cover. Once frozen, I pop out the cubes into plastic bags, and label with name and date. SO EASY!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Jen! I made all our baby food also and I really enjoyed it. As he got to eating more, I had to eventually buy a really big food processor so I could make big batches. The ice cube tray thing was the best tip I ever got. I can't wait to do all that again!

Justin said...

Way to go girl! I knew you would like it- and Blane too! Yea for saving money and feeding Blane good stuff!