Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 11: Peace

Tomorrow is day 11! Can you believe that we are halfway through our 21 days of prayer challenge?! Hopefully, this is great practice for what should be part of a daily rhythm of life for us as mommy's - prayer over our children!

It's hard work to be a mommy! My expectations of life with kids was fairly unrealistic - I daydreamed about the simplicity of cuddling with a baby all day, I didn't really think too far beyond that! Now I have come to realize that besides the discipline, crying, and neediness that comes with shepherding a little life that is solely dependent on mommy and daddy, there is also an extreme wear and tear that my mommy heart endures daily. Wasn't prepared for that! For example, it kills me to see my 3 1/2 year old desire so badly to be accepted by the older boy down the street, and the older boy consistently ignores my son because he's "annoying". Or the time my middle son took a huge fall and landed head first onto stone - I wondered if my heartrate would ever beat normal again. Or daily wondering if I will one day worship the Lord alongside my kids. Or every night fighting off condemnation and the enemy trying to make me believe that I wasn't good enough that day. Etc., etc, etc. You know what it feels like to have an aching mommy heart on behalf of your babies. But worry, fear, timidity, condemnation are not from the Lord! Instead, we can find pure rest, peace when we turn our fears and our worries, and our sad mommy hearts over to our Father. Praise Jesus - we don't have to mother alone! I want peace to reign in my heart - in just simply knowing that I am not in control, and I don't have to be. I am so thankful that the burden of being in control is not mine to bear. My only job is to keep my mind steadfast on Him, and in return He will keep me in perfect peace (Is. 26:3). I also hope that the peace in my heart will radiate into my home. Mommies generally set the tone of the home, and when my heart is peaceful, my home is peaceful. I hope that I can impart true peace - infuse my home and family with it, so that they too can live in peace and harmony....and I pray too that the great hope we have, which brings true peace, will consistently point others to our Good Shepherd, our Great Comfort, because He alone can offer the peace that we long for, that we fight for!

Isaiah 26:3

New International Version (NIV)


3 You will keep in perfect peace
those whose minds are steadfast,
because they trust in you.

Romans 15:13

New International Version (NIV)

13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Isaiah 40:11

New International Version (NIV)


11 He tends his flock like a shepherd:
He gathers the lambs in his arms
and carries them close to his heart;
he gently leads those that have young.

Hebrews 12:14

New International Version (NIV)

14 Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.

No comments: