"Self control" - do those two words make you cringe? I desperately struggle with self control because I am constantly faced with feelings of entitlement. I feel most entitled when my husband is out of town, and the "woe is me" feelings creep in. I feel like my role as single mom is deserving of eating out more often, more sonic trips, a splurge on a Starbucks, and maybe even a new pair of shoes. Why? Because life is super hard as a "single" mom of three small children and I deserve these things. How OUT of control is that?! Entitlement, greed, and selfishness all stem from a life that is not restrained by self control.
I observe the exact same sins in my boys as I just described, although under different circumstances. They have a difficult time sharing, they don't understand why we refuse to buy them every toy these see at the store, they are hardly ever humbly gracious for the things we do purchase for them, and they perceive that they are entitled to part ownership in all of our belongings. And how are we treating our heavenly Father? Like we are entitled to His kingdom?
Yuck. Tomorrow I am planning to focus my prayers on the bigger picture - I hope that my boys can learn self control by beginning to see that our Treasure is not here! I pray that all of our hearts are eternally inclined, and that when we rest our eyes on things above, that the greed, entitlement, and lack of control begin to fade away....
Luke 12:32-34
New International Version (NIV)
32 “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
No comments:
Post a Comment