Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Kenya - Day 1

The Lord has been hard at work preparing our family (little hearts and big hearts) for Scott's 10 day trip to Kenya. I guess I shouldn't lie and say that I haven't met this trip with a smidge of apprehension, I mean, 14 days of single mommy life is daunting and my heart bleeds for the women who raise family's alone. But as much as I've fought the blues with Scott being gone for two days already (the kids and I are staying in Colorado, but Scott left two days ago to repack and wrap up work things in Houston) I can feel the mighty ways God is moving. Praise Jesus who has been so near to us and blessed us with family and a vacation while Daddy is away! Remarkably Scott's absence has led to even deeper Gospel conversation with the boys than usual. I've shared with them their Daddy's radical obedience, we have prayed fervently for the work God has for these men in Kenya, we have been glued to youtube videos of kids on mission in Africa which has instilled in us a love for the people and culture.  While the kids and I can't accompany Scott and the other men to Kenya THIS time around, the Spirit is faithfully working in our hearts too. 

Here's the backstory: Scott, along with our C3 Pastor, Casey, Christ Church Brenhem Pastor, Justin, and several other men from Christ Church are headed to Kenya with HaMoreh Ministries. Their purpose is to equip and encourage the graduates of Kenya Baptist Theological Seminary as they prepare to build their ministries. Our group of men will build profiles for each graduate and prepare a website so that these men and women can be sponsored as they begin the work God is calling them to (similar to Compassion). 

While phone interaction with Scott will likely be limited, I'm hoping to post updates here. And since I'm the picture nazi in our family I've threatened to throw Scotts golf clubs in Lake Conroe if he doesn't frequently send me pictures to document his trip : ) 

How has the Lord been preparing MY heart you may ask? Enter Anything by Jennie Allen, 7 by Jen Hatmaker, and Kisses From Katie by Katie Davis. Three books in a row that have shaken my soul. My advice? These books are a must read whether you love your comfortable life and want to keep it or hate your life and want to lose it. 

My sweet hubby is on a blue KLM plane headed to Kenya even as I write this. We covet your prayers - may the Lord be glorified by the work of their hands, and may our men encourage the saints to bring good news to the least of these.

Psalm 36:5-9 "Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies. Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, your justice like the great deep. O Lord, you preserve both man and beast. How priceless is your unfailing love! Both high and low among you find refuge in the shadow of your wings. They feast on the abundance of your house; you give them drink from your river of delights. For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light."



No comments: