Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Gavin: 6 Months

Oh sweet Gavin, you are my greatest joy! This little baby brings a smile to my face and genuine warmth to my heart. He is one of three greatest gifts that Jesus has blessed me with! My little boy will be 6 months old tomorrow! It just can't be true - each day that comes is stealing away my baby. It makes me sad all the ways that he is growing up and I have to remind myself that this is God's plan for him! This month has been quite the adventure. As sad as I am to be leaving the infant stage, the six month mark truly is fun!
  • Gavin is sleeping 10 1/2 to 11 hours at night! He is always in bed at 7 or 7:30, and wakes to eat at 6 am. Then he goes right back to bed until about 7:30 or so. He is taking a morning nap, an afternoon nap (usually at the same time as Blane), and most often an evening nap while I'm cooking dinner. He is so easy to put to bed! I lay him down and he will play for a while, then go right to sleep. EASY!

  • He is loving baby food! Can't get enough of it in fact! I usually nurse him at 6 am, then give him food at 8 am when he wakes up. Then he will have another baby food meal sometime in the afternoon. So, two baby food meals a day, and still nursing about 5 times or so. But sadly, I have noticed that he's not as "into" nursing as he used to be. He is distracted so easily! Bad, bad baby : ) Also, he is gaining interest in his sippy cup. Hopefully we can get the sippy mastered since the bottle never worked out too well!

  • Gavin LOVES his toys! He chews on them, plays with them, grabs for them, and throws them to the ground! He also loves to stare at Blane and the two dogs. It's so sweet to see how he loves his big brother. He squeals and smiles so big when Blane pays him any attention. I pray that they are close friends for years to come!

  • We are sitting up! I still place the boppy behind him to catch any falls, but for the most part he is able to sit up all on his own! Of course, there are several distractions which will cause him to lose focus and face plant, but he is ahead of Blane in this area! Gavin can also get his legs and knees up under him - I wouldn't be surprised if he started crawling in the next four weeks.

  • Gavin sure has a funny personality. He is going to be a straight A, very studious little boy. I can see the wheels in his brain turning at full speed. He stares, studies, and then decides if you are worth a serious frown, or a big smile. He is very serious most of the time, but when he laughs, he laughs hard! He squeals and screams LOUD in delight! He doesn't object to anything, really - he is very go with the flow which makes life with him a dream!

  • Physical therapy is going SO well! He LOVES his therapists, Lauren and Lindsey! He has been doing so well in therapy that starting next week we will only make bi-monthly visits instead of weekly. On that note, we will be having Gavin fitted for his helmet next Monday! We will come home with it on December 14th so stay tuned for pictures! I have to say that I am a little sad that he has to wear a helmet, but I'm 100% convinced that we are making the right decision for him!
  • Gavin loves to "talk". Those coos that we are so fond of have turned into baby babble! I love to hear him talk to himself and try to copy sounds that I make!

We have much to be thankful for this year. As cliche as it sounds, I truly am so thankful for the health of my two boys. This past year we have known a couple who lost a baby, and another that had an eleven week premature baby. I can't imagine what it is like to endure such trying circumstances. It has caused me to be careful not to take even the smallest things for granted. Each night that I tuck Blane into bed, or rock with Gavin, I sincerely thank God for the two little babies that he has entrusted me with. And each night I pray that I can have them for just one more day!


Notice that the boys are holding hands in this picture - Blane insisted

Eating a Baby Mum Mum
Trying out the sippy cup
Family picture at Fall Fest

No comments: