
Sadly, my sweet Pappaw passed away this week, rather suddenly. We had a beautiful graveside memorial service, including three Army representatives who honored my Gran and my Pappaw for his years of service to his country. Most moving was the Taps song played on the bugle to commemorate him. What a sweet time of celebrating his homecoming! From there we continued to Watermark Community Church for the Celebration of Life service. What a beautiful service to remind us that our hope is found in Jesus, and no where else! I was so privileged to meet MANY of my Pappaw's mentoree's; men that he has led to Christ over the years, men that he attended the men's breakfast with, men that he prayed for, men that he loved on. I can't count the number of individuals who told me stories of how my Pappaw continued to point them to Jesus, even through the hardest of life's circumstances. My Pappaw and my Gran are founding members of the Watermark Community Church and it is awesome to see the impact that they have directly had on the Dallas area. I was asked to speak at the funeral, and I read this letter to my Pappaw:
Dear Pappaw,
Today we are having a party, a celebration of your life. You loved a good party! But our celebration pales in comparison to your great gain in Jesus. Romans 8 tells us that you have been liberated from your bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God. So, for me, I'm not celebrating the long life you had this side of heaven, but I'm celebrating your new life in the presence of our Savior.
But, your life here on earth WAS extraordinary, Pappaw. In many ways, you were like Jesus with skin on because your love for others was so incredible. SO many of my friends were taken under your wings and adopted as your own grandchildren. Actually, you have adopted several women into your family and shown them what it means to love Jesus. And, you were always looking for ways to serve others, and thank them for their service to you. In fact, you wanted to show your appreciation to the nurses in the hospital, so you would look for chocolate candies to give them. What a sweet and loving spirit you had. You certainly kept God's commandment to "love one another as I have loved you".
And speaking of chocolate and sweets, one of my greatest memories with you is going to Braum's for ice cream. Or, eating ANY ice cream, ANY flavor, ANY where right, Pappaw? Especially Blue Bell Peppermint ice cream at Christmastime. So, Sunday was extra special for me as Aunt Teresa and I got to help you with your last tastes of Blue Bell ice cream.
As sweet as you thought ice cream was, your treasure in Jesus was so much sweeter. It has been so special to read through your bible over the past couple of days. That bible is almost 20 years old. The cover is thin, and the edges are worn, and there are very few passages that aren't underlined or highlighted. Your knowledge and your love for Jesus is still bringing glory to God, even after your death. You knew that God doesn't promise us a perfect life on earth. We are not free from suffering, hospital stays, and death. But in our death we find joy, because Pappaw, you know that when our hope is in Jesus, we are promised eternal life, and we are no longer separated from Him.
Pappaw, you were always God's faithful servant. On Monday morning, when Jesus came to take you home, I know that he said to you, "Well done good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share in your master's happiness! And let me show you the room that I prepared for you long ago when you gave your life to me."
You were a warrior for God's kingdom everyday of your life this side of heaven. Now you will forever be a warrior for God's kingdom IN heaven!
Pappaw, I am reminded of my favorite song, Blessed Be Your Name. Part of the lyrics say:
Blessed be your name
On the road marked with suffering
When there's pain in the offering
Blessed be your name
You give and take away
But my heart will choose to say
Blessed be your name
I love you Pappaw!
Jen
Honoring my Gran with his flag

Gran, Susan, and Sharmella (these two women are my sisters! My grandparents have taken them in as their own!)


My Pappaw with Blane this Chritmas
Aunt Teresa and my Dad
5 comments:
Jen, that was so sweet. Thank you for sharing that.
I love your letter! I am so glad you were able to share it at the memorial service!
Blessed Be Your Name Jesus!
Your letter was so sweet. Praise the Lord that your Pawpaw was such an ambassador for Jesus!
You have such a beautiful way with words... what a wonderful Pappaw you had... (now, I need a kleenex!)
What a beautiful letter!
Post a Comment