Since this blog has become more of a baby book than simply pictures and updates, I thought I would include our recent stint in urgent care. But be warned, this isn't pretty!!!!!
About two months ago, I discovered that both boys had what looked to be yucky spider bites. Blane's was located on the outside of his right thigh, and Gavin's was on the upper right side of his groin area. I thought it was quite suspicious that they could both have strange bites at the same time, but I dismissed my worry. About a week later, the "bites" had grown in size and started to fill with a white puss. They were large areas, red, and hard to the touch. Blane actually woke up one morning unable to walk because it was causing him such pain. The areas started looking so nasty on a Saturday that I decided to take them to Urgent Care. We were told at UC that it was likely an infected bug bite but both boys were started on a strong antibiotic nonetheless. Come Monday morning, the "bites" looked like disgusting puss filled boils and I knew that I needed to get them into their pediatrician for a second opinion. I just love my kids doctor! He immediately diagnosed them with staph infections. He also said that we would have to drain both boils in order to stop the spread of infection. A minor procedure, but still a procedure. He had to cut into the boils and manually squeeze out the infection which looked like meconium. It was an extremely painful procedure - and I had to hold each of the boys while they were being worked on. Sad! Our doctor sent us home and asked us to finish off the antibiotic that they were prescribed at UC.
About a week and a half later, I noticed that Blane and Gavin both had what looked to be a severe sunburn. It started on B early in the day with little pimple dots all over his body, and it quickly became red burn all over him. He was burning to the touch and in severe pain. I assumed he had too much sun, (we had been at the pool that morning, but I am a nazi about sunscreen) so I lubed him up with some aloe vera. The next day, Blane was worse, way worse. He had a 103 fever, was shaking, and would scream if he was touched. At this point, G was starting to show signs of burn too. I still thought that it was a horrible case of sunburn, but thought I should take them back to the doctor just in case. Low and behold, they were both having a severe allergic reaction to their antibiotic - yes, even though it was almost two weeks after starting treatment. The medicine was basically poisoning them from the inside. Luckily, Gavin's reaction was never quite as bad as Blane's. But poor little Blane was suffering like you wouldn't believe. When I touched him, it was like putting my hand in fire. He would pretty much scream in pain all day, and their was nothing we could do to provide him any relief. I would just pray over him that God would take his pain away. After a couple of doses of Benadryl, relief came. And each day being off the meds he got better and better and by 4 or 5 days, he was practically back to himself!
All this being said, I DO believe in medicine, vaccines and antibiotics! But, I now know to be more aware off allergy symptoms. And I will probably never look at a spider bite the same way again : )
This is a picture of Gavin's boil
Scott and Gavin at Urgent Care

Blane at Urgent Care

Blane's legs after several days of healing

1 comment:
Poor little guys! I'm glad your doctor figured out what was going on. I love reading your updates and seeing your photos. It's almost like I get to talk to you. :)
Post a Comment