This season, just like every other Christmas season, was so special. Our focus on Jesus' birth to our boys who seem so much older than last year elicited such great discussion. I was so proud (yet sad) to hear that Blane was the only student in preschool who knew that Christmas was a celebration of Jesus' birthday. We did so much to focus our hearts on Jesus: Our advent readings each night, a new Christmas (Jesus focused book) each night, we played with our nativity set, we made an edible nativity to top Jesus' birthday cake, we prayed over our friends as we held their Christmas cards, etc. I also had to break the news to Blane this year that we would not be bringing a baby into our home named Jesus - it was a struggle to explain that Christmas was remembering Jesus' birth, not the actual birth of a new baby in our family : ) We had fun family time driving around looking at lights, decorating the tree, sharing meals together, going to see the trains at Northpark, etc. Our memory verse this month was Romans 15:13 - May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing so that by the power of the Holy Spirit, you may abound in hope. The theme ringing in my heart this Christmas season was GRACE. Christmas and santa tend to promote such moralism that I wanted to hedge a wall of Truth around my kids' hearts. I reminded them so often that God loves them way more than I ever could, and he loves them when they make wrong choices and when they make right choices. He lavishes love on us when we mess up, when we sin, when we disobey because the truth is that we will never get it right apart from Him. I encouraged Blane and Gavin to ask Jesus to help them love each other and others. I asked the boys to remember how gracious God was to give us his Son, when we were so undeserving. The greatest gift ever was given to a people who rejected it. Of course, just as expected, the kids hoarded their gifts, asked for more, fought a lot over what they did get, were barely thankful for what they did receive, and felt entitled to more : ) And not that I am really so far removed from the way they acted! I often am selfish and struggle with entitlement! So I cling to Jesus on my behalf and theirs, praying that He would continue to sanctify my heart, and that he would draw their three little hearts to Himself, that He would perfect their faith, that they would desire Jesus, and that they would long for Christmastime because it is a reminder of His faithfulness to keep His promises. Because of Jesus, we CELEBRATED this season!!! So here is our Christmas in pics!
Mom's table looked so pretty, for all THREE meals she invited us to!

Teepee!

Ashley loving her pillow pet

Blane was ecstatic about his golf bag!



Uncle Conley and Ashley

G helping mom with the punch

Grammie and Grandaddy took the boys to help pick out and cut down their tree
Even Ashley enjoyed the Northpark trains


We ventured out on Christmas Eve to the mall!
"Mom, are you SURE that's you in this ornament picture?!"


Blane got to golf with the men (Daddy, Poppop, Grandaddy, Great Grandpa, Uncle Conley) for the first time!


Opening his microphone

"What did I get, Daddy?"


Birthday cake pancakes for Jesus' birthday


Daddy working late into the night setting up the boys gift

Edible nativity

My early Christmas present from the boys - Stone Soup
Holiday dinner at the country club
Ashley preferred to eat the nativity playset : )

Gavin tended to clump the ornaments together!

Helping to decorate mom and dad's tree



The baby Jesus that Blane made in school


Baking cookies with Grammie!
No comments:
Post a Comment