If you read THIS POST and stared wide-eyed at the word "homeschooling" in the second to last paragraph, you might not be alone. And if you knew me in high school then you are especially surprised because you remember me stating that I never wanted to have kids. Never. Ever. God certainly is in the business of changing hearts, isn't He?!
The truth is that the Lord has been piecing together my interest in an alternative education for quite some time. I believe that Jesus is True and what he says is Truth and it is the springboard by which I understand things and ultimately He informs all of my decisions. In other words, He has been extremely clear that He would have us homeschool this year. And while we plan to re-evaluate our educational plans at the end of every school year, we will continue to be sensitive to where the Lord leads us.
Excitement coupled with apprehension and "what on earth did I just get myself into" self talk defines my gut. I have learned that I have to sift through the clutter, weed out the nay-sayers and be certain that it is God's voice I'm listening to. And I KNOW His voice. Ultimately my only job is to be obedient to Him.
"Oooh. Ooookkkaaayyy."
"Oh good, you've decided to homeschool! That's great! And did you know that now days, SOME home schooled kids even go to college!"
"Wow. You are really going to have your hands full."
"Whoa, you must have a lot of patience."
"Whoa, you must have a lot of patience."
It's been so easy for me to be discouraged before even beginning this journey. It's amazing the power satan has over my soul simply through the words others choose to speak to me. On those days I go back to Jesus saying, "Are you sure? I heard you right, right? I'm certain that I am not adequate for this and undoubtedly I don't have as much patience as this job will require." But in my questioning He floods my heart with peace like a river and He reminds me that I am moving forward and being radically obedient to exactly what He has called us to. And His reassurance urges me to reclaim great excitement for this adventure.
In my flesh I certainly don't have enough patience, I feel completely unequipped, and I freak out slightly when I realize I am choosing the "hard" route, the road less traveled. But I am following Him and I cling to the promise that He will never leave me nor forsake me on this road. He will give me the strength I need to choose Him when I lose patience. To choose Him when I want to pull my hair out. To choose Him when it's so much easier to be harsh instead of kind. To choose Him when I'd rather lash out in anger instead of being gentle and loving. My time with these three little ones is so very precious, it's passing so quickly, and I embrace the gift of extra time with them which the Lord is offering me!
In my flesh I certainly don't have enough patience, I feel completely unequipped, and I freak out slightly when I realize I am choosing the "hard" route, the road less traveled. But I am following Him and I cling to the promise that He will never leave me nor forsake me on this road. He will give me the strength I need to choose Him when I lose patience. To choose Him when I want to pull my hair out. To choose Him when it's so much easier to be harsh instead of kind. To choose Him when I'd rather lash out in anger instead of being gentle and loving. My time with these three little ones is so very precious, it's passing so quickly, and I embrace the gift of extra time with them which the Lord is offering me!
He continued to affirm this plan for us when He wholly and perfectly provided for this decision. Financially our costs for curriculum have been covered with a little to spare. Praise Him!!!
I am so excited to begin a fun filled year with Sweet, Spicy and Sassy as my students. We have chosen My Father's World Kindergarten to use as our curriculum - mostly because it's very gentle and is bent towards mission. Everything we will learn is viewed through the lens of the Gospel and points back to Jesus. I've also chosen to incorporate YWAM Christian Heros for Young Readers Bks 1-4. If you're not familiar with the adult versions (Christian Heros Then and Now by YWAM Publishing Group, you're missing out. Sorry, but you are!) I hope that in these books my kids begin to see the beauty of losing the glitter in this life to gain treasure in the next.
So that's that! The planning and preparation has begun!
I am so excited to begin a fun filled year with Sweet, Spicy and Sassy as my students. We have chosen My Father's World Kindergarten to use as our curriculum - mostly because it's very gentle and is bent towards mission. Everything we will learn is viewed through the lens of the Gospel and points back to Jesus. I've also chosen to incorporate YWAM Christian Heros for Young Readers Bks 1-4. If you're not familiar with the adult versions (Christian Heros Then and Now by YWAM Publishing Group, you're missing out. Sorry, but you are!) I hope that in these books my kids begin to see the beauty of losing the glitter in this life to gain treasure in the next.
So that's that! The planning and preparation has begun!
1 comment:
I didn't know about they made children's versions of the Christian Heros books - thanks so much for sharing!!!
Post a Comment