Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Oh Those Late Nights : )

There was definitely a time when I dreaded having to be woken out of a nice deep sleep (multiple times each night) for a midnight feeding. More like pre-midnight, midnight, and early morning feedings to be exact. I stumble my way up the stairs, still dreaming, and wondering why Blane wasn't as tired as I was! Half the time I would fall asleep while trying to keep the bottle even with his mouth so that he could actually eat. After doddling with the bottle for half an hour or more, I would change him, burp him, and attempt to get him back to bed. By this time of course, I am wide awake and any attempt at getting myself back to sleep is just a joke.
But then it hit me. I should be cherishing this time that I have alone with my baby. While all of the world is asleep and it's just Blane and I spending some quality time together. It is the only time of peace that I have where I can really thank God for this little miracle. Psalm 127:3-5 "Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them." God wants us to think of our children as a reward. And that's exactly what Blane is! He is a blessing and pure joy. And then I realized that one day he will leave our family and start his own. In fact, he will spend more of his years on this earth with his family than he ever will with me. You know the couples on the Today show...the ones that are celebrated because they've been married 65 years or more! 65 years with his new family and all I can hope for is that he spends 18 years with me. So in the grand scheme of things, when I realize how little time that I have with him, I should actually be thankful for the additional time that only I get to spend with him at random hours. It won't last for long!
"It's only a snap of the finger from diapers to tuxedos and wedding gowns."

2 comments:

Jenn said...

You are such a sweet mother. Scott and Blane are so blessed!

Justin said...

Ok... so you have SEVERAL posts since my last. Nap time today for the girls = me shaving my legs (watch out!) and working on our blog:)
God really taught me a lot during those feedings in the wee hours! I had some incredible prayer time and learned a great deal about His peace. As crazy as it sounds, I look forward to that middle of the night time with Elaine. Although, I won't lie... a good night's sleep is a beautiful gift of God as well:)