Monday, December 1, 2008

The Beginning of Advent and Other Christmas Family Traditions!

I can't believe that it is officially December (and it's supposed to be mid 70's here tomorrow?)! I've been feeling the pressure this year because this will be the start of our Christmas's together as a family with children. I really want to make the holiday special for them, full of traditions and family time, but most of all I want to make sure they understand what the Christmas season is really all about. I always loved and cherished Christmas growing up as did Scott in his family. So my challenge was to incorporate the traditions that we are both used to and then to add some special ideas for our own family! Scott and I also decided that we won't be including Santa in our Christmastime traditions. I loved Santa growing up but I also want my kids to understand Jesus as fully as they are able without having to pick through part truth and part imaginary stories. We are beginning our December with our Advent calendar, reading a little part of the Jesus nativity story each day. Then of course we will read the entire story on Christmas morning and we'll even use our nativity scene as "actors" to play the parts. You'll notice from our pictures that our Christmas tree is lacking in the ornament department. But I'm ok with that! I decided that I would rather collect ornaments that mean something to our family instead of buying in bulk just to make the tree pretty. Scott and I decided that each year we will purchase one ornament for each child and one for us as a couple depicting something memorable that happened that year. Blane's ornament this year is a cute little cowboy boot - I'll always remember how adorable he was dressed as a cowboy for his first birthday!

1 comment:

Darling Daughters said...

I totally agree about Santa - I have always thought it was confusing for children to understand that you can't see God, but He is real and you can't see Santa, and he is not real. I don't think I've ever met anyone else who expressed that, though, so I appreciate hearing that I am not the only one who thinks it's confusing! I love your ornament idea. Very cool.