Sunday, February 8, 2009

One Sick Visit + One Emergency Room Visit = A Busy Week

Contrary to how this post might sound, I'm not typically an over-worrier, even though I have been known to take Blane to the doctor at the slightest cough. Actually, I got over that by 5 months when I realized that there is little a doctor can do to comfort a baby. But this week was definitely the exception. I have been on high alert lately for several reasons:
  1. I'm a mom. Period.

  2. I'm pregnant.....raging hormones cause me to be even more motherly bear like

  3. One of my very best friends just spend two weeks at Cooks with her little boy
  4. An acquaintance of mine had an almost two year old son pass away

So all of that being said, I decided to take Blane to his pediatrician late last week for a persistent cough that just wouldn't go away. It was keeping him up all night and would cause him to gag. That in addition to my MIL being diagnosed with bronchitis, I thought that I should have him checked out to make sure that it wasn't serious. Low and behold, lungs were find but we did find out that he had a horrible ear infection and allergies. Little Blane was prescribed an antibiotic and allergy medication. Problem solved!

Today though, was another story! Scott came across Blane shoving open staples into his mouth and when he went to get them all out, Blane started swallowing. We knew that several had gone down with that swallow! I knew that it must have cleared his airway because besides being scared, he was breathing fine. I was mostly concerned that the sharp edges might pierce his little intestines. I called the nurses line at his doc's office and they told me to rush him to the ER. She went on to tell me that the urgent care clinic wasn't sufficient, that I needed to take him downtown to Cooks Children's!

Prayer is such a powerful thing! Our wonderful church congregation prayed for us this morning while we were in the waiting room, and of course Scott and I were constantly praying for our little boy. We were a top priority case and only waited two hours before three x-rays confirmed that no staples were ever ingested! What a miracle! We are so very thankful that God protected our little baby from something that could have been disastrous. Once we knew that we were pretty much in the clear, I thought that our first ER visit deserved some pictures!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor Blane!
Nanna & Poppop are so sorry, lil' Buddyman had to go through that trauma, and proud of his parents for taking through those scary waters. God is good...every day!
love to you...Nanna & Poppop

MontyG3..4! said...

Hey...I am of the opinion that you can never take your child to the doctor too often or call that emergency hotline too much! I'm so sorry you had the scare---the ER is not fun! I'm so glad that everything is clear! And yes, those hospital gowns don't cover much for toddlers or big people!

Michelle said...

Thank God!!

Unknown said...

Blane in that hospital gown...so sad! Praise the Lord that all is well!!! Love you!

Zack, Ashlee and Reese said...

Oh Jen....you had an ER visit too! I'm so glad to hear Blane was okay! How scary! Blane still looks super adorable in the tiny hospital gown!!