Memorial day and Independence Day are two holidays that I've often overlooked. Other than the excitement of grilling out, fireworks, and an employment holiday, I've never really taken the time to contemplate the history of the celebration. I know, sad. But since marrying Scott, whose ties and service to our country run deep, I decided that I had better be a little more enthusiastic about patriotism, American citizenship, and have a better appreciation for the freedoms that are ours because of those who fought the battle. I'm really excited this year to talk through these holidays with the boys! I'm hopeful that over the next month and a half they will understand two important truths: that our ultimate freedom is found in Jesus, and that our true citizenship is in heaven! I wrote up a summary of what a hope to talk through with the kids, and you can download it here (and if you can't see it, click on "download"). I also purchased this book, which will help us better understand our heritage and history as Americans. I hope that you have a fantastic holiday with your family!
A picture of the scriptures on our table for the next month or so ; )
No comments:
Post a Comment