Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day 5: Praying Against Pride

Pride is at the top of the list of things God hates (Prov. 6:16-19)! Remember Herod’s pride and the violent death that followed (Acts 12: 21-23)? Pride is such an ugly sin of the heart – and my heart is full of it at times! It seems to breed subtly, and it is oftentimes masked by such beautiful, godly intentions. I long for a heart that is free of selfish pride, but full of godly pride. I want to be little, and for God to be BIG! Instead of seeking any preeminence, I want Christ to have supremacy in my heart and actions. I can only hope that on a good day, I am able to model a humble heart to my boys. May my boys see what it looks like for God to be made much of! Apart from Him, we can do nothing!

The remedy for a prideful heart is the DAILY realization that all we are and all that we have is a gracious gift from our Father (1 Cor. 4:7). Apart from Him we are in complete depravity! And when the Spirit reveals how undeserving we are in our fallen state, we can't help but be humble in spirit!

Tomorrow, I plan to pray through Ephesians 2: I pray that my boys will soon come to understand what they are apart from God - they are dead in sin, they follow the world and the ruler of the air, they continue to satisfy the cravings of the sinful nature, and that they are objects of God's wrath. I pray that they grasp the depths from which God will save them! I beg the Lord to show great love, mercy, and graciousness to my boys - to make them alive in Christ, raised up in the heavenly places, saved by grace! And I hope that they cultivate a humble spirit knowing how lavishly their Father loves them and the lengths He is willing to go to in order to save them even in their undeserving state!

Let's love on our boys tomorrow through prayer!

No comments: